Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Dinner on Maui - restaurants I love

I had a hard time figuring out how to choose which restaurants to list here.

There are a TON of good restaurants. There are many well-known restaurants. Some have become Maui institutions - Haliimaile General Store, Longhi's, and Mama's Fish House, for example. There are also a few really good chains that I enjoy: Tommy Bahama's, Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, Spago......but how about a few "off the beaten path" choices? Again, I tried to include locations that are "stroller friendly". I also didn't choose really high-end restaurants - prices are mid-range. You can always check online for menus and as always, I would be happy to answer questions in the comments section.

A caveat: I don't make it over to Lahaina/Kaanapali/Kanaha very often. So my suggestions for that area are liimited, but I will do my best :) I would love to hear from some west-siders so that I can add to my list!

Upcountry:
Colleen's in Haiku - urban style in the middle of the country. I have had friends get seriously lost trying to find this place at night. Small menu, but very good. Large portions.

Market Fresh Bistro in Makawao - if you are lucky enough to have reservations for one of their special dinners (usually on a Thursday or Friday night) consider yourself lucky. Seriously.

Cafe Des Amis, Paia - funky cafe with indoor and outdoor courtyard seating, yummy crepes, and a mediterranean platter that I adore.

Central:

Market Street Bistro, Wailuku - Good menu, nice atmosphere, fair prices, sometimes they have live music too.

Bistro Casanova, Kahului - Excellent pre-departure dinner option, close to the airport. Tapas, appetizers, pastas, entrees....I have enjoyed everything I have tried here. And they serve carafes of mojitos. Say no more.

South:

Wokstar, Kihei - Casual noodle joint with great prices, a tight menu written on a chalkboard with lots of options including vegetarian, a nice kids menu, and the food comes quickly. BYOB and enjoy the sunset.

Sansei, Kihei - they have really REALLY good sushi. Check for early bird and late night specials because it can get pricey - but it's totally worth it.

Cafe O'Lei, Kihei - yummy for sure. Great menu, a bit more expensive but worth it. We have had several wonderful family dinners here.

Kai in the Shops at Wailea is on my list to try.

Monkeypod Kitchen is opening mid February 2011 and I had a sneak preview. It was awesome. I will check back once they are open.

Lahaina -

Mala Ocean Tavern is a favorite, especialy for sunset. Good menu, excellent (but sometimes pricey) specials, and a nice kids menu. Excellent cocktails too.

I'o has never, ever let me down. I have had numerous amazing dinners there. If you are going to splurge, I recommend this place.

Kahana

Maui Brewing Company: their food is fine - I have always enjoyed it, but it's not anything extraordinary. Their beer, on the other hand, is awesome and I encourage you to stop by and check them out - if only for a drink and some appetizers.

I am interested in other suggestions for this area, as I rarely get over there and would like advice on where I should eat when I am far from home and hungry!

No comments: