Thursday, February 14, 2008

Baby won't you take me on a sea cruise

Norwegian Cruise Lines has the market cornered. They offer several 7 day itineraries through the Hawaiian islands, and while these cruises are popular, apparently they are not seeing the numbers they had hoped for - they just announced that they are pulling yet another cruise ship out of Hawaiian waters in May.

So now is the time - before they tighten the market and jack up the prices, take advatage of this all-inclusive option...the only one in Hawaii, really ! See the islands without the hassle and expense of an interisland flight, enjoy all inclusive Freestyle Dining - this is not your mother's cruise ship. You can eat where ever you want, when ever you want, and it's awesome. This past week, I sailed NCL's ship the Pride of Hawaii as it left Hawaiian waters, bound for the Mediterranean where it will be renamed the Norwegian Jade.

I have never cruised before, so really, I had no idea what to expect and I have nothing to compare it to, so I did some research. Experienced cruisers have shared their stories with me, about horrific table mates, mandatory seatings, hidden charges, jacked up drink prices...and I have to say - I didn't experience any of that. My husband and I were able to make reservations for the specialty restaurants which charged surcharges of $10 - $20 per person at dinner. Bottles of wine were very reasonably priced, and drink prices began at $3.50. All coffee, tea, juice, and milk were free. Soda did cost extra, but we aren't sode drinkers so that didn't really affect us too much. We ate at the buffet when we felt like it, I drank endless cappucinos, and room service was great too. Our inside cabin had plenty of room for 2 adults and 2 kids and our luggage, car seats and stroller. The kids club was great - and included in our fare :) An added bonus, they take children as young as 2, which is practically unheard of and totally made my vacation ! They also offer private babysitting for an additional charge, something I did not do, but my friends did and it was great.

I also visited the spa. Not only was the spa a Mandara Spa, with skilled technicians and great products, but the spa ITSELF was awesome, with a sauna, steam room, jacuzzis, lots of space to lounge, and the option of being in the women's louge or out in the central lounge, where I could hang out in the jacuzzi with my husband, which was fun :) I got an amazing massage, got my hair colored, and got my nails done - and not one of these services cost more then I would have paid at a salon on the mainland, and were actually less then prices at resorts in Hawaii !

All in all, we had an amazing time. And it would only have been improved by staying in Hawaii. Sailing across the Pacific to California, the seas were not as calm, and the weather was definitely brisk. The pool area was pretty darn chilly ! But really, that is the only taspect of the ship that we did not take full advantage of, and we didn't miss it much, especially with the jacuzzi in the spa :)

So, to sum it all up.....
Taking a cruise in Hawaii on NCL is a great idea. It will save you money in the elong run, and is the closest thing to an all-inclusive resort that Hawaii has to offer ! It's disappointing the Pride of Hawaii (and in May, Pride of Aloha) are leaving Hawaiian waters, but Pride of America is still here, offering Freestyle Cruising that was a lot of fun !

No comments: